Friday, September 16, 2011

Speak Out With Your Geek Out

So earlier this week I stumbled onto the Speak Out With Your Geek Out, uhh, movement. Which is basically a bunch of people coming together and proclaiming that it's okay to be a geek. Because, you know, it totally is.
As longtime followers have probably realized, I'm a pretty big geek. I freak out about office supplies and crochet stuffed animals and have admitted my love affair with fanfiction. Not only that, but I have a soft spot for children's television programs (Adventure Time, MAD, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic), I've gone to conventions in costume (no, you can't see the pictures), and research anything I have a question about (yes, I am full of useless knowledge). Really, I could keep going. There's not much about me that isn't geeky.

Of course, I can't say that I was always proud of my geekiness. In elementary school, I was the weird kid (I loved Sailor Moon, heaven forbid). I never would have openly admitted anything in that last paragraph and I definitely didn't have any friends that shared those interests. Which was a rather depressing existence.

Because it's okay to be passionate about something. That's what geekiness really is. Passion. And how can you find friends with similar interests if you're too afraid to admit your geekiness to yourself? Because frankly, one geek is pretty cool, but a group of geeks is really where it's at. I could continue on this vein, but I think John Green has said it more eloquently than I ever could:
So yeah, if you're a geek or a nerd or a dork, be proud of it. Because liking things isn't something to be ashamed of. Now, feel free to tell me the things you obsessively love and geek out about in the comments. I'd love to know what gets your blood pumping!