I love the Broadway soundtrack to death, and the movie soundtrack was one of my first CDs. I also have rather vivid memories of a birthday party that involved roleplaying as lions. Actually, much of my childhood involved roleplaying as big cats of some sort.
Anyway. I've been anticipating the blu-ray release for almost a year now. When I heard that the movie was going to be back in theaters for a few weeks to herald in that blu-ray release? Well, let's just say there was much rejoicing.
|Yup, I saw it yesterday, and here's my hard proof!|
- It's Hamlet. You can't get more literary than that. Seriously. Think on it for a while.
- Yeah, yeah, 3D is a gimmick. I know. But it's not often you get a 3D movie that isn't live action or CG . . . so this 3D experience is a little unique.
- It's a movie about big cats. BIG CATS.
- There may be little kids in the theater who've never seen the movie. Most people dislike children in the audience, but sometimes little kids can be adorable.
- The animation has been cleaned up since the DVD release and it's gorgeous.
- The characters sing and dance. Also, if you haven't watched The Lion King in a long time, it might surprise you as to how complex some of the songs are. *cough*Be Prepared*cough*
- That horrible DVD addition of The Morning Report is not included in the 3D release. Note: I have nothing against this song in the musical, just in the movie.
- Timon and Pumba still make bad puns.
- Nala is a pretty awesome female character. Not only can she physically hold her own against Simba, but she's bold and adventurous too.
- The voice acting. Jeremy Irons, James Earl Jones, Matthew Broderick, Jonathan Taylor Thomas . . . must I continue?
So what do you guys think about The Lion King? Do you have the same sort of love affair as I do . . . or were you never all that interested in talking lions? And do you plan on seeing the movie? Or have you done so already? Tell me in the comments!