Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Book turnoffs

Well, today's post is a wee bit late as last night I succumbed to something called The Migraine. Wooo. So I'm really quickly going to talk about something that's been on my mind lately.

A while ago I talked about reading "meh" books and how I usually finish them. What I didn't talk about where those niggling story elements that alienate me right off the bat. The, shall we say, book turnoffs? We all have them--specific topics that we don't care to read about because we can't relate or we think they're boring or, well, any number of reasons.

My list is pretty short, but here, check it:
  • Paranormal hunting. Hunting demons, hunting werewolves, etc, etc, etc.
  • FAERIES IN NIGHTCLUBS. Or really, nightclubs in general.
  • Mean Girls style high school drama. More specifically, super cliché Mean Girls high school drama.
  • Vampires. I didn't even care about vampires before they were cool.
  • Too much satire. I just can't handle it.
  • Books that start with someone waking up and their morning routine . . . who cares?!
That's not to say that there aren't good books about these topics. Because there are! There are always exceptions, and I've read some of them. The DUFF has wonderful nightclub scenes, Before I Fall is a fantastic book full of mean girls, and Sisters Red is my favorite book about hunting things to date. And, of course, I'm sure there are some fantastic vampire books out there . . . I just don't go looking for them.

So what about you guys? Are there any specific elements that throw you out of a story? Do you try to give those elements a chance, or do you drop the book as quick as possible? Also, do you have any recommendations for me in regards to my turnoffs? Tell me in the comments!