Monday, October 3, 2011

September Book Roundup (UPDATED!)

ETA (10/013/11): Oops, I forgot to list a book because I read it in the bookstore. Review and cover picture added for posterity.

September was a bit of a slow reading month for me, but I don't really care, since I got to read Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke & Bone . . . which is a book that I've been waiting for since it was announced. It's always wonderful to finally get your hands on those highly-anticipated books, you know?

Moving on. If you happen to be new, here's the book roundup lowdown: At the beginning of each month I do Twitter-length reviews of the books I read during the month prior. Genres are listed at the beginning of the reviews and my absolute favorites are marked with a star ().

Simple, yeah? So here are the lucky books of the month:

The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
YA Horror--Dr. Warthrop studies monsters and Will Henry is his apprentice. The first half drags and everything is SUPER dark, but an interesting read.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
YA Fiction--Samantha relives her last day seven times. READ THIS BOOK. It's so much more than I imaged. Heartbreaking and complex and cruel--but relatable! 

Making Waves by Tawna Fenske
Contemporary Romance--Corporate castoff pirates + steamy romance + quirky humor = this book. A bit over-the-top at times, but relentlessly entertaining and funny.

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
YA Paranormal Romance--The southern town of Gatlin has secrets, including witches and curses. Gorgeous historical depth, but I really didn't care about the MC. At all.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
YA Fantasy Extravaganza--Karou's different and she's about to get caught up in an otherworldly war. Masterful and exquisite and wonderfully creative. READ THIS BOOK TOO. 

If You Give A Cat A Cupcake by Laura Joffe Numeroff (illustrations by Felicia Bond)
Picture Book--If you give a cat a cupcake ... it will get rather demanding. Cute, but after all the other books in this series, feels a little TOO derivative.

And that's a wrap. Not much this month, but my to-read pile is looking mighty good, so I'm betting that October will rock. What about you guys? Any exciting books that you're looking forward to . . . or have you already gotten your hands on them? Tell me the details in the comments!