Friday, February 17, 2012

11 questions campaign game!

ETA (03/09/2012): Yeah, I got tagged again (by Brenna at Blissfully Brenna), but didn't realize it until now. Oops. If you're interested, the new questions and answers are near the end of the post.

ETA (02/17/2012): Okay, so I've been tagged by two more people (Jenna at Finding the Write Way and W. Chaser). This has officially become the 11 Questions Master Post of Doom. That is all.

So, there's been this 11 questions campaign game floating around, and I was tagged by the lovely Patricia Marques over at Swimming in Words. It's a pretty cool meme, especially considering that the questions change each time you get tagged by a different person, so it's not the same thing over and over.

So here are my 11 answers to Patricia's 11 questions:
  1. What was your first ever story about?
    It was a picture book entitled The Adventures of Nikki and Noel and was about a cat and a dog who, err, went on adventures? It was basically Milo and Otis in book form. :)
  2. What's your favorite writing place?
    My bed. Or the couch. I prefer comfy places where I can chill in my pajama pants and huddle beneath a layer of blankets
  3. What's your favorite character archetype?
    I usually like the smart, funny one. Or the tragic, anti-hero one. It's even better when you can combine the two?
  4. Cats or dogs?
    Cats. Cats by faaaaaar.
  5. If you could time travel, what year would you travel to?
    Ugh, I seriously have no idea. 
  6. What type of scenes do you find hardest to write?
    Those little montage scenes where someone walked for a couple hours etc. It's only a paragraph to a page's worth of writing . . . but I hate it!
  7. What's your favorite children's movie?
    The Lion King. I own the blu-ray, I know the names of all of then charatcers (hello, Sarabi) I can sing to all of the songs and quote half of the movie, and I pray for the opportunity to see the musical.
  8. Name a book that made you cry (or came close to getting you there).
    Honestly, there isn't much that can start me crying, but Markus Zusak's The Book Thief had me bawling. BAWLING.
  9. What's your favorite fictional hero?
    Ahhh . . . these are hard! I don't think I have an absolute favorite. :(
  10. If you could get some advice from any writer, past or present, who would it be?
    Uhh, good question. There are so many writers posting their advice online now . . . so I guess I'd rather talk to someone from the past. I guess Jane Austen would be interesting to talk to. *shrug*
  11. What's your Chinese Zodiac?
    I'm a dragon! Raar!
And now 11 more answers to the lovely Jenna's 11 questions:
  1. Redvines or Twizzlers?
    Redvines!
  2. With your iPod/MP3 on shuffle, what's the first song that comes up?
    "A Man's Gotta Do" from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. :D
  3. What's your least favorite book you ever had to read for school?
    Ugh, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I can't really remember what was so terrible about it . . . but it was terrible.
  4. You're the producer for turning any one book into a movie, which do you choose to do?Ooo, this is a tough one. Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke & Bone would be fun.
  5. What's your favorite YouTube video?
    Uhh, my favorite? Jeeze. Umm. I don't really have a favorite, but let's go with the mewling baby cheetah. Because, uhh, cats own the internet and cheetahs CHIRP.
  6. Who did you look up to when you were thirteen years old?
    I was kind of a strange child . . . I didn't have any role models. Seriously.
  7. Which food do you wish you could rid the planet of?
    IKURA. Ikura is salmon roe sushi. Just envision a cup of seaweed full of rice and jiggly, orange eggs the size of kitten eyeballs. *twitch*
  8. Why did you decide to start blogging?
    A couple reasons: 1) I figured it was time to start building up a writing platform, 2) it provided me a soapbox to ran on, and 3) I wanted to meet new people and such.
  9. Do you cry over books/movies/TV shows?
    Not often, but there are exceptions to this rule. *cough*The Book Thief*cough*
  10. What's one thing you believe in with all your heart?
    People should stop focusing on the negative. Seriously. We'd all be a lot happier if we stopped focusing on things we hate.
  11. Flowers or chocolate?
    Flowers as long as they're interesting flowers instead of, you know, just roses. Variety is key! Of course, Boyfriend got me chocolates for Valentine's Day, so maybe I should go with that.
And last, but definitely not least, 11 more answers to W. Chaser's 11 fabulous questions:
  1. If you could be any fictional baddie who would you be and why?
    Magento. Sure, his childhood sucked, but he's a badass. His magnetic powers pretty much allow him to do anything and his set pieces always pwn everyone else's. I mean, if I'm going to be evil, I might as well be awesome.
  2. If you could go back in time and stop someone being born who would it be?
    Well, the easiest response would be Hitler, but I'll go with Joseph Mengele. Not only did he support Hitler's ideals, but he liked torturing and experimenting on people. Which is just horrific.
  3. When do you get your most inspirational ideas?
    In the shower . . . or right before I'm about to fall asleep . . . or while driving. Basically anytime that I can't write it down.
  4. If you had to live without either books or music, which would it be?
    Books. Don't get me wrong, I love books . . . but they're just stories. And stories can exist without books. Music, on the other hand, can't really exists without itself.
  5. Who provides the most encouragement for your writing?
    Brenna. Mah boyfriend. Kirstin. Pretty much my entire NaNoWriMo writing group.
  6. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
    Uhh. Maybe to be a little more lucky. That'd be nice. I'd like to be lucky.
  7. Do you remember your dreams and do they influence your writing?
    I do remember my dreams . . . they often involve tornados. *nods* My current WIP is actually based off a dream I had . . . though none of those original ideas really exist anymore.
  8. What word do you frequently misspell?
    Worshipers. In my current WIP gave it double p's EVERY SINGLE TIME. Also, I tend to interchange lose and loose.
  9. How much influence in your writing do you take from other people’s opinions?
    It really depends on how valid I think that opinion is. I think some of the best critique partners point out things that you already know are wrong with your story, so I definitely let those opinons influence me. On the other hand, I tend to ignore people when they tell me that my story shouldn't have something in it because it's stupid or inappropriate.
  10. If there is one book you wish you’d written, what is it?
    Ahhhhh, just one?! Liar by Justine Larbalestier.
  11. Starter or desert?
    Creme brûlée.
Okay, and now the REAL final set of 11 questions and answers for Brenna:
  1. Coffee or tea?
    Tea. I'm a big fan of black teas and chai.
  2. What was the first story you can remember writing?
    Uhh, I remember illustrating The Adventures of Nikki and Noel, but the first story I actually remember writing? I wrote this fabulous story about kids in the army (it was a horrific mashup of pretty much every tv show I liked at the time) when I was 12.
  3. What TV show, video game, movie would you recommend to other writers?
    1) Avatar: The Last Airbender because the world building is to die for and the story isn't too shabby on top of that.
    2) The World Ends With You because it throws so many awesome ideas together and makes it work.
    3) Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog because I can't watch it without feeling inspired by the end.
  4. What time of day are you most productive?
    Ehh, after dinner to somewhere around one in the morning. What can I say? I'm a night owl.
  5. Green or black olives?
    Green, green, a thousand times green.
  6. What was your first car?
    A dark red GMC Sierra. Wish I could tell you the year, but I don't actually know . . . probably 90's something?
  7. What is your guilty pleasure?
    Right now? My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and Young Justice. So, uhh, I guess American children's animated television?
  8. Are you a fan of footie pajamas?
    I've never worn footie pajamas . . . but that seems like way too much fabric to be sleeping in.
  9. What's something you didn't think you'd like that you did/do?
    Crochet. My mother is big on the whole spinning/weaving/fiberarts circuit, so I've been subjected to sheep and fiber fairs my whole life. Never really expected to find any of that stuff interesting . . . but she doesn't crochet, so maybe I've found a loophole?
  10. Favorite salad dressing?
    Blue cheese. *nomnomnom*
  11. What is your most embarrassing nickname? (Or, just any nickname. You don't have to give an embarrassing one.)
    Uhh . . . Sarah-bear-a?
Wasn't that thrilling? Anyway, now for some unlucky victims. I'm tagging the following campaigners:
  1. Susan Rocan at My Withershins
  2. Diane D. Gillette at Happy Writing!
  3. Jenna Cooper at Finding the Write Way
  4. Jolene Stockman at Everything is Possible!
  5. Sara Biren at Crow River Writer
And here are my 11 questions:
  1. What do you like to eat for breakfast?
  2. Shakespeare: yay or nay?
  3. Do you have any guilty pleasures?
  4. What is your favorite thing to write about?
  5. Choice of the century: cake or pie?
  6. Got any non-writing hobbies?
  7. If you had a theme song, what would it be?
  8. What's your favorite writing snack?
  9. Do you have any pets?
  10. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
  11. Got any book recommendations?
Woo, that was kind of intensive! And a surprising number of my questions have to do with food. Hmm. Anyway, looking forward to everyone's answers . . . and hey, if I didn't tag you, feel free to tell me about yourself in the comments anyway! :)