Monday, August 1, 2011

July Book Roundup

Beginning of the month, so it's book roundup time. Wooo.

Not much to say on how well I'm devouring through The Pile, because, well, I'm not doing the greatest job at that. Of course, now that I've stopped requesting things from the library, it's theoretically going to be a lot easier to get through all of the books I've borrowed over the last few months. And then The Pile will die. *wields steak knife*

Anyway, here's the deal behind the book roundup. At the beginning of each month I do Twitter-length reviews of the new books I read during the month prior. Genres are listed at the beginning of the reviews and my very favorites are marked with a star ().

Make sense? Well let's get down to business then.

The 19 Dragons by SM Reine
Steampunk novella--The godlike 19 dragons have been rendered mortal and their murders harken the end. This story is wondrous and surprising. I wish there was more! 

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
YA Paranormal Romance--Romance and werewolves, without being super tacky. First half is painfully slow, but the writing is lovely and the chilled ambiance is perfect.

Enclave by Ann Aguirre
YA Post-apocalyptic--Deuce, a Huntress, lives in a small community beneath the husk of NYC. Also, zombies. Nice premise, but almost too many ideas running rampant.

Supernaturally by Kiersten White
YA Paranormal--Sequel to Paranormalcy. Evie's trying to adjust to "normal" life ... and fails. While Evie is still adorable, I wish more had happened.

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
YA Paranormal Romance--Sequel to Shiver. Sam and Grace are still in love, but change is on the way. Adore the Isabel POV chapters and the gorgeous, lyrical writing. 

The Affinity Bridge by George Mann
Steampunk mystery--Sherlock Holmes with dirigibles, zombies, and a female Watson. First 100 pages dragged, but the rest made up for it. Also, Veronica is badass.

The Shifter by Janice Hardy
YA Fantasy--Nya can heal with a touch and "shift" the pain into other people. Fantastic premise and interesting plot, but I just couldn't relate to Nya.

Well, there we go. That's what I read, so my question to you is what did you read? Anything that I should rush to the store and get immediately? Give me a heads up in the comments.