Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Writing research is weird

I'm a bit of a research dork.

My inner scientist is obsessed with things in my story sounding and being logical. So, if I run into a detail that just doesn't make sense, my brain freezes. There's no way for me to move on with the story unless I get everything to work perfectly.

Which has led to some interesting research sessions. What have I looked up lately?
  • The marrow capacity of a human femur
  • Burrowing frogs that live in Australia
  • Fulgurite . . . aka: fossilized lightning
  • Wick and lamp oil burn times
  • The Kebira meteor creator in Libya desert
Yeah, it's an interesting collection. Won't deny it. Besides,
Or, I'll keep telling myself that.
So how do you guys feel about writing research? Love it or hate it? And what's the weirdest thing you've ever found yourself looking up? Give me some details in the comments!