Friday, August 19, 2011

Bread pudding and your DREAMS

Last night I made bread pudding.

It was spontaneous. As in, I wanted to eat something sweet and decided to make bread pudding. Because I like to pretend I'm a magnificent cook.

This awesome plan might have gone better if I'd ever actually eaten bread pudding before. Or knew what bread pudding is supposed to look like. Or maybe if the recipe I went with actually had useful information in it (like, cook time or logical instructions).
Does this look like bread pudding? At all?
Mmm. Tasty. Ish.

The point is, sometimes it's better to consider what you're doing before you actually bother to do it, especially if it's something you've never done before. Otherwise you might end up stuck with a 9x9 pan full of lumpy mush.

If you're writing a YA book, you should probably read a few YA books and find out what hallmarks make the genre. If you're applying to a college or a job, it might be a good idea to research the place that you're applying to so you don't get surprised later on. Because you know what? You should never treat your dreams and ambitions as carelessly as my bread pudding.

So, have you made anything that didn't turn out as well as you hoped it would? What was it? A cooking experiment gone wrong, or something else? Tell me about it in the comments.