Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The flopping fish of my PAIN

I don't have a post for today.

It's kind of pathetic. Really. Writers are supposed to be able to "channel their pain into writing," or some such nonsense, but I kind of fail at that. There are dozens of examples of suicidal writers and drug-using writers and angst-ridden writers who all wrote beautiful works revolving around their hazy lives of misery. I am not one of those people.

When life has irritated or upset me, I don't write. My brain sputters a bit before completely shutting down--kind of like a fish in the shallows, flopping around in an attempt to get back into deeper water.

Anything like plot diagraming is out of reach because I can't focus on something that complex. Descriptions run flat and the joy of writing a delicious sentence vanishes because my vocabulary has been diminished to a few hundred words. Yes, my brain truly becomes that drowning fish.

Of course, when I'm happy and feeling good about life, writing goes a bit different. All those creative parts of my brain that get shut off in fish mode are switched back on. I have the power of word choice! And sentence structure! And ideas! Writing becomes fun again (even when my story is being cranky).

Hence this blog post. I won't go into details, but I'm annoyed right now and I couldn't craft a wittier metaphor than this beached fish thing. Not my best work. And I know, I could delete everything I just said about not having a prepared post and you guys would never know (theoretically). But that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

Anyway, what do you guys think? Are you able to "channel your pain" when you write? Do you compose super heartfelt poetry or prose from the angst in your own life? Or does your writing thrive when you're happy and cheerful? Tell me in the comments.