Friday, December 2, 2011

November Book Roundup

Well, I didn't read much in this past month thanks to NaNoWriMo. Actually . . . I didn't read anything at all until I got my 50,000 words out of the way. But what I did read was relatively exciting.

Oh, and if you're curious, this is my monthly book roundup post. In other words: At the beginning of each month I do Twitter-length reviews of the books I read during the month prior. Genres are listed at the beginning of the reviews and my absolute favorites are marked with a star ().

Ashes by Ilsa J Bick
YA Post-apocalyptic--EMPs and zombies and super powers and cults! This book is weirdly bi-polar. Loved the first half, but then it went downhill. Also, WTF cliffhanger?

Manga--Usagi is the guardian of justice--Sailor Moon! Story gets a bit darker in this volume, but the romance is lovely and we get some background info.

The Immorality Engine by George Mann
Steampunk Mystery--Newbury & Hobbes #3. Steampunk Victorian England takes a dark and relatively unexpected twist in this volume. Also, Veronica is STILL awesome. 

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
YA Contemporary Fantasy--The Scorpio Races are brutal, thrilling, and both Sean and Puck must win. Holy crap I love Stiefvater's water horses and her beautiful prose. 

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
YA Contemporary Fantasy--Tragedy strikes and as a result, Jacob's gonna unearth his grandfather's past. Haunting photos ... with a story that doesn't really match up.

See, not too shabby. I also find it kind of entertaining how most of the covers fall under a muted color palette. Anyway, what did you guys read? Or did you get any reading done at all? Tell me in the comments.