Monday, January 9, 2012

Printz award book challenge

ETA (01/09/12): Well, after some more digging around, it looks like there isn't a year-long challenge specifically for Printz award books. So . . . I'm going to host one just because I want to. :) Go to the tab at the top of the blog or click here to check it out.

Haha, so I had this brilliant plan to host a reading challenge, and throughout all of my research on the matter I didn't succeed in finding a challenge that overlapped my own idea until about two days ago. Sigh.

Anyway, the challenge I was going to create was about Printz award books. In simple terms, the Michael L. Printz award is named for a librarian who was super active in the Young Adult Library Services Association and is pretty much THE young adult book award. If you read YA, you've probably see the seals before--they're giant, metallic P's:

Now what does this have to do with my reading challenge that isn't?

Well, I've only read three Printz winners (Ship BreakerGoing Bovine, and Monster) and six honor books (Stolen, The MonstrumologistThe Book Thief, The House of the ScorpionThe Body of Christopher Creed, and Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging). As of right now there are 12 winners and 45 honor books. I obviously need to read some more of them. And if I need to read some more, there's a good chance that YOU should too.

I'm not hosting it anymore, but if you're interested in tackling some of the Printz award books too, check out The Printz Project. It's a perpetual challenge instead of a year-based challenge, but it definitely deserves a little attention.

So, have you guys read any Printz winners or honor books? If so, which ones and what did you think about them? Also, what kinds of reading goals are you planning to tackle in 2012? I'm planning on reading some more Printz books, but the only definitive challenge I'm going for is the Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge. Tell me what you're up to in the comments!