Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February Book Roundup

Woohoo, book roundup time!

It didn't finish quite as many books this month, but I do have a few things I'm in the middle of reading that will get carried over to March. Look forward to them!

More importantly, I'm ditching the star ratings. Mostly because I dislike how arbitrary stars can be. Sometimes three stars is a good thing and sometimes it's a bad thing. Which sucks. In accordance to this change, the stars from the January Book Roundup have vanished.

However, do not fret! I will be marking my absolute favorites with a star (). Because even though books in general rock, sometimes there are special ones. I'm talking about the ones that keep you up for all hours of the night and make you wish there was a sequel that you could go buy right now. Those ones.

Now, let's get this show on the road. For those who don't know, I don't do book reviews. Once a month I write quick, Twitter-style blurbs.

Across the Universe by Beth Revis
YA Sci-fi--Awesome dystopian sci-fi with a dash of teen romance. Full of dramatic twists and delightfully creepy world-building that is to die for. 

Matched by Ally Condie
YA Dystopian--Classic dystopian romance. The world didn't feel dangerous enough, but Cassia is relatable and I adored both of her love interests.

Zombicorns by John Green
YA Post-apocalyptic--A novella about corn-obsessed zombies. Better than it sounds, trust me. Mia's voice is strong, even during the heavy, philosophy bits.

Irregular Creatures by Chuck Wendig
Short Story Anthology--Short story collection with an emphasis on the bizarre. "Dog-Man and Cat-Bird" is worth the book, but other stories not for the faint of heart. 

Num8ers by Rachel Ward
YA Paranormal--Jem is a girl who can see when people are going to die. Interesting idea and Spider was raw and well-rounded, but many things fell flat for me.

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
YA Steampunk--Alternate history featuring everything I've ever wanted in steampunk. Gorgeous world-building and all sorts of fun with creatures and machines. 

What books did you guys read this month? Any of these? And if you've read these books before, what were your thoughts? Tell me in the comments!

4 comments:

Brenna Braaten said...

I, as you know, read the first two. And I liked them. I'm planning on reading Leviathan, just for you. (Okay, really for me)

Sarah Robertson said...

Yes. Go read Leviathan. Now.

Jackie said...

I haven't read Leviathan, but I would like to. I've always had an affinity for the steampunk aesthetic, but I've never read much in the way of steampunk literature.

As for Zombicorns, I just snagged myself a copy because of this post =]

Sarah Robertson said...

I'm totally the same about the steampunk aesthetic! I think Leviathan is the first hardcore steampunk novel I've read and it pretty much contains everything I ever wanted . . . even the things I didn't know that I wanted. It was a bit surprising!

Zombicorns is crazy fun. You'll have to tell me what you think! :)

Post a Comment