Wednesday, October 12, 2011

NaNoWriMo public service announcement

Well, it's getting to be that time of year again. Yes, NaNoWriMo time. And yes, I am one of those people.

If you've never heard of it, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. The idea is that you write a 50,000 word "novel" during the month of November. If you're curious, that's 1,667 words a day. Does it sound hellish? Well, that's because it kind of is. But only a little bit, and most of that hellishness is buried beneath a load of awesome.

Me? Well, I've participated and won NaNoWriMo five times now . . . so I'm a veteran. I guess. Anyway, I really like NaNo. It's a fantastic way to pound a draft out in a relatively short time period, and the community is gold. If you've been considering participating, well, you should do so this year. Because it's fun and crazy and worth it, even if you don't finish.

So have any of you guys done NaNo before? And what about this year--anyone else planning on participating? If so, do you know what your novel is going to be about? I'm thinking something steampunky with airships and a monster that crawls on the sky. Tell me what you're planning in the comments!