Monday, April 25, 2011

Writing breaks and guilty pleasures

I'm probably not the first to tell you guys that writing isn't all sunshine and daisies. Sometimes it sucks. Luckily most of us love writing enough to push past the barriers of doubt and confusion. We can suck it up.

However, I'm not sure that sucking it up is always the best option. Sometimes it's just difficult to summon the will to continue. Sometimes you're making your story worse by puttering with it. Sometimes it would do you better to think on a scene instead of work on it. Sometimes your brain needs to relax.

But that's not a bad thing! So many writers will tell you that it's important to write every day, but I think it's more important to be in tune with yourself. If you can crank out quality work every day, awesome. Go do that. But if you need a break, then take a break and don't feel guilty about it.

Actually no. You should embrace guilt. Not the guilt that comes from avoiding your writing, but a better type of guilt. The guilt of guilty pleasures. Why? Because guilty pleasures are the best way to relax.

Really. It's true. Guilty pleasures are powerful because they're things we often relish the most. Maybe it's because most guilty pleasures are kind of ridiculous. For example, a lot of people secretly like reality shows just because they're so over-the-top. Others have a secret stash of tasty food that can hit the spot when they're down. Some people listen to cheesy pop music because the beats are bubbly and exciting. The examples are endless, and all of them bring joy.

Now, I'm speaking from experience here. For the last two weeks I've been indulging in guilty pleasures instead of editing my WIP. Maybe I haven't gotten much done, but I've cleared my mind. And now, in the last few days, I've gotten more work done than I would have if I had forced myself to not take a break.

How do you guys feel about breaks? Necessary or waste of time? Most of my guilty pleasures go back to things I did in my childhood (ie: pokémon), but what about you? Anything good? Tell me your thoughts in the comments.

4 comments:

Tryingtostaycalm said...

Hope you have an amazing day! :) Shauna from http://www.trying2staycalm.com/2011/04/1-800-flowerscom-review-and-giveaway.html

Brenna Braaten said...

I was totally going to guess video games. I think I sadly do far too much guilty-pleasuring and not enough writing in the end. (That sounds pretty dirty, doesn't it?) But I think breaks are, all in all, a good thing.

Sarah Robertson said...

Unfortunately video games are actually only one of my many shameless guilty pleasures over the last few days. ^_^ I'm totally having problems getting started with work again though, so I understand the too much guilty pleasuring. :P

Brenna Braaten said...

Go girl! You can do it! I know you can! Write like the wind! Er. . . edit?

Post a Comment