Friday, January 14, 2011

Keep the spoilers underwraps

A book I've been anticipating recently came out. Unfortunately I was exposed to a giant spoiler about the ending, which irritates me beyond belief.

Now when I say "spoiler," I'm not talking about something obvious. I mean, everyone knows that in a romantic comedy the couple is going to get together by the end. No. I'm talking about the big spoilers. The "Luke, I am your father" spoilers. The spoilers that convince you to re-read the book so you can see all of the hints that you missed the first time.

I hate spoilers. The thing is, I'm kind of a plot whore--I lose the will to go on if I know how things end. I really don't understand why you would want to read the last page of a book before even starting it. Sad thing is, I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

I'm telling you guys this because I want you to realize that spoilers can ruin a book. Or a movie, or a video game, or anything else. Spoilers ruin things.

There are a bunch of authors out there that are so gracious about this. Even if their book came out months or years ago, they still censor their thoughts and words. Sure, this might have to do with the fact that they want you to buy their book and read it, but everyone else should be responsible too.

Just because you're not the author doesn't mean you shouldn't treat their works with respect. Reviews without spoiler warnings and obnoxious comments on Twitter aren't helping anyone. In fact, they're probably hurting your chances at connecting with people.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, be careful. Be considerate. Remember that not everyone has read the book or seen the movie.

3 comments:

Kate Robertson said...

I agree with you. I hate spoilers too! I want to enjoy the whole book or movie without any input from someone else. I like it when people give you warnings, then I know to avoid them. When I am looking at books on Amazon I alway just read the publishers notes and not peoples comment, they gove away too much sometimes.

Sierra said...

#1 way to kill a book for me is spoilers! I can relate with you about being a "plot whore." I also don't read any reviews cause it's like playing with burning coals. Odds are your going to get burned.

Brenna said...

I completely agree. And I'm sorry that you were spoiled. That's so unfair. And like Sierra, I try not to read reviews. I'm bad though. If I've started reading comments on something and they say "Spoiler warning!" I sometimes can't help myself and keep reading. I'm getting better at that, though.

I hope I never spoil anything for anyone else.

Post a Comment